Outdoor/ campfire cooking

Is anyone here really into campfire cooking??

Thank you,

Joseph
About the only time I cook over fire is when camping.
2015-6-20%20cast%20iron%20027.jpg

Nice skillet Shawn, love the long handle for open fire cooking.

Every time we camp, the iron goes over the fire - unless it's raining then the camp stove comes out. Love bacon and eggs over the fire, little bit of smoke, little bit of ash, maybe a fly or two but it's all good :)

Cooked flies are fine, but live ones can be irritating so my best dinner guest when eating outside is a yellow jacket. They eat flies, unwashed, so no fly with any sense will come within 3' of a yellow jacket.

If you welcome a yellow jacket to join you (your attitude counts) he will stay on your plate and eat happily, not buzz around your face. If he's on your next bite he'll move with a tender nudge from your fork. They prefer meat and don't eat much.

They are not out to hurt you so if you don't show aggression there is no problem. If need be, just pretend it is a butterfly. When they have had enough and leave you may feel like you have made a friend.

If you have trouble with this idea, it isn't the yellow jacket that has the problem.

Hilditch

Saw some like this at an antique shop yesterday in the $40 to $60 range. Didn't know if they were a good deal or not. Pretty rusty, but salvageable.

Thanks Dan Farmer.

CJMunnich, The most I have paid for any of my spider skillets is $40. Most 20-25. I've seen them with basically no pits, no cracks and in very good condition in the $60-80 plus range. Very good condition with matching lid over 100.

If the ones you are looking at are pretty rusty, they are probably pretty pitted. $40 is about the most I would spend, if I didn't have any. I wont buy any more at that price unless it's in very good condition with very little pitting, or marked with manufacturer name.

Back