number 8 fryer with gate

KevM

hello all once again. cleaned this fryer any one no what what it is or its age? gate to the side with a number 8.

Attachments

• DSC03423.jpg
    DSC03423.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC03424.jpg
    DSC03424.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC03425.jpg
    DSC03425.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 48
Hi, all. I'm new here and relatively new to cast iron. Love cooking in it. Was my grandmother's favorite to cook in.

I saw this exact griddle today in an antique mall and thought it might have been have been made in a shop class. Because the vendor wasn't there, I wasn't able to make an offer. They were asking $20. Is that a good price?

There also was a Griswold #3 slant logo with hinge (but not lid) and it was straight with just the tiniest wobble. Also $20.

Now I'm wondering if I should go back and just pay $20. Would that be a reasonably safe bet? Looking for myself. Sorry I didn't take pictures.

$20 good or bad on an old gatemarked griddle is dependent upon the buyer. I don't care for them, but there are those who do, and I don't think they'd mind spending $20 on one like this, if in good condition.

Slant logo and a hinge? Not sure I've ever laid eyes on that combination. They're typically small block logo. A picture would be good to confirm. If it is the combination you say, and it's in otherwise good condition, you might do well to pick it up. Of course, you'll probably never find a matching lid, but...

$20 good or bad on an old gatemarked griddle is dependent upon the buyer. I don't care for them, but there are those who do, and I don't think they'd mind spending $20 on one like this, if in good condition.

Slant logo and a hinge? Not sure I've ever laid eyes on that combination. They're typically small block logo. A picture would be good to confirm. If it is the combination you say, and it's in otherwise good condition, you might do well to pick it up. Of course, you'll probably never find a matching lid, but...

Thanks for the replies, Doug and Steve! Faulty memory on my part. The #3 Griswold is actually a small block logo, 2503.

I went back today and picked up the #3 Griswold and the #8 griddle with gate plus a gem pan and a little toy/souvenir that says Cape Cod, MASS Deep Fat Kettle on the bottom. I'll take and post pictures. $20, $20, $15 and $7. My first buys. Not some of the spectacular prices I've read that you guys have paid. I'm not that far from Boston and I think things tend to be higher priced. But I'll be looking!

The other cast iron in the house came from She Who Must Be Obeyed's grandmother. Her dad is 90 and some of it is definitely older than him and possibly all of it. Martin #3, Wagner nickel plate #6 and a Wagner #8. I've stripped and reseasoned them. Nothing sticks. It's amazing.

Another vendor at this antique mall has one for sale for $35. I see two have sold recently on eBay, ironically one not far from here in Massachusetts. With shipping, both went for about $30. Both this #3 and the #8 griddle are quite flat and neither spins. At all.

I think they'll all clean up quite well. I'll post before pictures tomorrow and after in a few days.

Back