Need Some Expert Eyes Here To ID This Pan #2

While typically the only smooth bottom BSR skillets you see are the chicken fryers, there are some other smooth bottoms seen including a #10 and #2 that looks like it was made as a promotional item. Without credible evidence to the contrary, I would call this one BSR, from the Red Mountain era, as well.

Doug, I went to the Resources / Foundry Database on site here. The photo that you have under BSR, the handle is not the same as the one I have. Not sure that means anything.Your thoughts.

Pattern creation was by hand, so there is some variation to be seen across pieces and sizes of most of the makers. For BSR, the common characteristics of the handles are the teardrop-shaped hollow under the hang hole and the ridge extending from it down the center to the sidewall of the pan, without flattening out where it and the sidewall meet. With this particular pan, it's more a matter of identifying it as BSR until substantial proof that it's not is found to exist.

I follow what you are saying as to the handle, characteristics of the handles are the teardrop-shaped hollow under the hang hole and the ridge extending from it down the center to the sidewall of the pan, without flattening out where it and the sidewall meet.

It is the ridge line that I question, On my pan it is flat, not like a point like others that I have seen. Have you or anyone seen other BSR flat bottomed pans other than the 2 that you wrote about. Was there a flat bottomed line that BSR did?

Thank you.

Although it's not clear from your photo, I do know what you're speaking of-- like the handle ridge of the pan or its pattern was passed across a grindstone. I think there are enough of those seen from time to time which have the other BSR characteristics that we can conclude it to be a BSR variation.

It is all in the details. Yes "like the handle ridge of the pan or its pattern was passed across a grindstone."

OK BSR Red Mountain era. We are Good, Thank you :icon_thumbsup:

Jeffrey - for what it's worth, I just found one of these too, smooth bottom, in a #5. Also with the somewhat flatter ridge on the bottom of the handle.

Michael Talton, Looks like it was made on a Friday, like mine. They wanted to get out of work early and passed it across a grindstone to fast. :icon_thumbsup:

Back