Need help identifying some iron

L Rose

So for no identifiable reason I got really curious about the identity of a couple cast iron pans I picked up at an antique store. I am not a collector, I bought these to see if I could shape them up for use. I grew up using my parents beautiful cast iron cookware and being the naive young'un I was figured cast iron just magically appeared like my parents pans. So I went out to tractor supply and bought myself a set of brand new lodge skillets. And I've cooked with them a good bit for the last 6ms but they are still nothing like my parents pans (still being naive). Well wanting to understand, I went to the internet and down a cast iron rabbit hole. Needless to say i realized that it appeared what I wanted isn't made anymore so I hit the antique stores. I have now found and am in the process of reseasoning the two pans I picked up. Okay now that you have the backstory...I am wondering what the unmarked pan is...the only markings are a "7" and a "z". Next, I am wondering why this Wagner pan looks sort of silver/metallic underneath all the grime I have cleaned off. Is that original or did someone paint that little pan you think?

Here is a link to the pictures I have taken(hope it works). Thanks everyone!

https://picasaweb.google.com/109535...authkey=Gv1sRgCNCQg-TW4oiU0gE&feat=directlink

Thanks Doug,

I was thinking the #7 might be a Lodge, but wanted a second opinion. This pan is so much nicer/smoother than the new Lodge I bought last summer! I read about the nickel-plated pans that you linked to (thanks). I loved the ad from the 30s...a big iron pan for $2.49(wow!). Just to clarify though, these plated pans are safe for cooking and eating just like the traditional cast iron?

I won't know for sure if mine is plated on the inside or not for a few more days. I have it in another easy-off bath right now. The pan was densely layered with build-up when I got it, much more than the old lodge, so I'm still working to get all if that off. Thanks again for your help. I have this strange urge to go find more cast iron now. I can definitely understand how this could turn into a hobby. Each piece has so much history :)

Some pieces were plated on the cooking surface, some not. Those that were are often seen with the plating worn off from use. Worn plated pieces can be used if the remaining plating is not flaking off. Season the bare iron areas as you would a normal piece.

Back