Need help: Can use with these cracks?

AFerretti

Hi!
I need help in trying to figure out if these cracks on the inside near the handle make this pan unusable? And if it's unusable, it is safe to go through the cleaning and seasoning process to display it (my dad wants to get it welded) or better to display as is? It’s been passed down through generations in my family and I just received it.
Many thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7235.png
    IMG_7235.png
    373.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7236.png
    IMG_7236.png
    549.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7237.png
    IMG_7237.png
    331.2 KB · Views: 20
The cracks, which like yours are often seen adjacent to the handle, mean if the pan is to be used it must be with utmost caution. It may or may not leak. It may be OK for years and then one day suddenly fail, probably with a good chance of injury. My advice would be to neither use it nor weld it. Clean it up and hang it on the wall, and just let it be the heirloom that it is.

Hi Doug,
Thank you so much for the response. By cleaning it up do you also mean seasoning? I apologize since I am very new to this. I just want to make sure it’s safe to season and then display.
Many thanks,
Amy

An option would be to strip it then coat it with a thin film of mineral oil, which wouldn't require heating or baking on, but it will act as a rust preventative. And it won't go rancid. Wipe off as much excess as you can, just like you were doing a seasoning.

In the book "The Cast Iron Field Guide:" on pages 132 to 135 are detailed directions on how to repair cracks in cast iron. I have not used this method but intend to on Dutch Oven lid. Trying this method won't do anything to the pan that cannot be reversed.

I found the book on a web site "Thrift Books.com". They usually have a good selection of CI books at decent prices.

I have a #9 Erie 2nd series. Its really nice, BUT there is a small crack by the handle. I got a good deal, and I use it all the time. I pick it up with my thumb inside the skillet and my other fingers are outside. Just be carefull if you use it, be gentle. Or wall hanger time, whatever you choose.

Safest way to use it is don't move it with any food in it. If things go South moving it empty it will just make a lot of noise.

Back