• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Naan (TFN)

Doug D.

Administrator
Staff member
Seeking out this recipe was largely a result of my wife's recent yen for the Indian flatbread, me thinking "you really just paid $5 for two pieces of flatbread?", and knowing I could probably make it myself. Turns out I was right, and all you need are a few basic ingredients and a cast iron skillet. This is a simplified version of an Aarti Sequeira recipe on TFN. Naan differs from other flatbreads like pita in that it's texture is soft and pillow-y.

Naan (Indian flatbread)

2 C. AP flour plus extra for kneading
3/4 C. water (warmed to 95-100°F)
1 tsp. active dry yeast
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. sea salt
1/8 tsp. baking powder
3 Tbl. plain yogurt*
2 Tbl. extra virgin olive oil

A #8 or #10 cast iron skillet with a cover that fits reasonably well.
A watch or a kitchen timer.

Dissolve 1 tsp. sugar and the yeast in the warmed water in a tall glass or 2-cup measuring cup. Let sit until it becomes frothy, about 10 minutes. Add the yogurt and olive oil, and stir to combine.

Sift the flour, salt, remaining 1 tsp. of sugar and baking powder into a large bowl.

Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and initially stir together with a fork (I used my Danish Dough Whisk.) When it comes together, knead on a lightly floured board briefly before returning to bowl and placing, covered with a damp tea towel, in a warm, draft-free spot for 2-4 hours. The dough will be soft and still sticky, like there isn't enough flour, but that's correct.

After the rest, have two bowls ready, one with a little extra flour, the other with water. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board and sprinkle with a little more flour. Form into a log shape about a foot long. Divide with a bench scraper into 6 equal pieces. Dust each with a little of the flour to make them easier to handle. Roll out each piece to a thickness of about 1/4". The original recipe talks about the traditional teardrop shape, but something about 8" x 4" is what you're after.

Heat the cast iron skillet (gradually) to blazing hot.** Sprinkle a naan with a little of the water on both sides (or use a spray bottle with water), and then slap it into the hot skillet. Bake for 1 minute, then turn over, cover, and bake for one minute more. Some bubbling of the dough and charred spots are to be expected and are desirable. Remove to a tea towel-lined plate, and bake the rest. Remember to back the heat off a little after the first one, to keep from overheating the skillet.

Finishing touches include a light sprinkling of the salt or even a light brushing with a garlicky compound butter. If not consuming immediately, store in the refrigerator in a sealed plastic bag. Reheating in a standard toaster works just fine.

* I found it hard to find plain yogurt in anything other than a 32 oz. container. But it was so cheap I didn't mind. If you buy a bag of frozen blueberries or other fruit, you can make flavored yogurt with the rest.
** Don't heat the skillet until you are ready with the naan. Messing with trying to roll out a sticky dough and not paying close attention to an empty skillet over high heat could be problematic.

Back