Mystery Tea Kettle

I've been cleaning the kettle in the lye bath and vinegar/water. It seems to have a number on top of the spout, maybe a 6, 8 or 9. Cannot make it out.

The iron seems really rough textured and kind of primitive looking. Is this typical of something from the 1800s?

Did I do OK for $15.00?

The number on the top of the spout is the stove size number it fits and it sure could be late 19th century to early 20th. Not sure who is the maker though. Your price is ok although I would recommend paying considerably more for a much nicer tea kettle. If you like it that's all you need.

Any thoughts regarding the really rough texture and primitive look to it? More indicative of 1800s manufacturing?

Not really, but rough probably from a foundry who didn't take the time to make good patterns and used a coarse molding sand plus quick finishing. I have many pieces of iron cookware from even the mid 1800s that are superb in both style and finishing with overall great quality so it isn't that the foundries at that time period were, as a whole, turning out mediocre pieces.

Back