Muffin Pan ID?

DGladow

We have a couple of pieces from the wife's grandmother, and have identified one as 7-inch Wagner Ware "low-profile" skillet(?) with heat ring from late 20s or early 30s. The other, which probably is from roughly the same era, has no visible identification other than a "5". It's a 14 1/2 x 7 1/2 rectangle with eight oblong recesses, each of which is 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 --- all dimensions in inches. Later (1950s) usage by the wife's mother was to make individual cornbread muffins. Can anyone help?

Photos are the best help in making an identification. Most of the gem/muffin pans that would be marked #5 would look like this:

If it looks similar to this one and has a "N 5" or a "No 5", it could be an early Griswold. If just a raised 5, the source of those is unknown.

Thanks for the quick response! I'm attaching a photo of my two items; it shows the bottom of both. Probably unfortunately, it's a single raised "5" on the "gem/muffin pan", adjacent to lower finger hole. The "low-profile skillet" (only 1/2 inch total height) has Wagner Ware with the script W and Sidney -O-; it's size is "7A".

Attachments

• DSCF0010.jpg
    DSCF0010.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 29
Your closed frame muffin pan is unusual for that design. Most copies of the Waterman #5 retained the original open frame concept, which Waterman patented. Whoever made it did, however, do like many others and stick to the #5 designation of the original for the number, shape, and configuration of the cups.

Your other piece is what's called a handled griddle. On those of that type, the rim around the bottom is not really considered a heat ring. That it has no catalog number (c/n), but does have the stylized logo places it ~ 1915-1924.

The muffin pan is probably the nicest made by the Bridge Beach & Co. of St. Louis. They also made a harvest pan but I don't know if theirs is the one OLD one usually found. There are 6 gem pans of the general style of yours but with differently shaped cups plus the harvest pan in a catalog sheet copy I have. I'd love to post the jpg here but that's not easily possible.

Thanks guys; you provide a great service with this site! In addition to getting ID information, I've also learned about such things as "handled griddle" and that gem is another term for muffin.
One more thing would make it perfection. Although my wife and I hope our two items will go to our children/grandchildren as family heirlooms, it would be nice to know approximate values.
Thanks again.

Back