Looking for age and info on Griswold #8 Dutch Oven

LisaLandis

I inherited this Dutch Oven and will be giving it to my son who loves to cook. Any info about age or interesting facts about it that will make it a more fun to include with his gift. I tried googling info but wasn’t sure mine fits the categories I found. Couldn’t find anything about patent #. Thanks- I’m new to the group and a novice about cast iron.

Attachments

• IMG_0564.jpeg
    IMG_0564.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0568.jpeg
    IMG_0568.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0577.jpeg
    IMG_0577.jpeg
    207.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0576.jpeg
    IMG_0576.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0566.jpeg
    IMG_0566.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 7
The patent info can be viewed here: https://www.castironcollector.com/patents.php It applies to the design of the bail handle. The cover, with the raised lettering is more sought after than those without, and appears to be the "high dome" version. Its underside appears to have the "Clean Easy" feature, an enamel coating, so don't mistake it for build-up in need of removal. The patent date(s) on it can also be found at the supplied link. The style of TM places it in the period 1920-1940, but with the enameled lid probably the middle of that time frame or later.

The patent info can be viewed here: https://www.castironcollector.com/patents.php It applies to the design of the bail handle. The cover, with the raised lettering is more sought after than those without, and appears to be the "high dome" version. Its underside appears to have the "Clean Easy" feature, an enamel coating, so don't mistake it for build-up in need of removal. The patent date(s) on it can also be found at the supplied link. The style of TM places it in the period 1920-1940, but with the enameled lid probably the middle that time frame or later.
Great, thank you so much for the information! I'm not going to sell it but what would you think it is worth in the market today? So I can tell my son what a great present he is getting :) I have other cast iron that from my German grandmother, going to look into the history of some of her cookware now.

Search for same or similar on eBay and filter to "Sold" items, which will give an idea of what people are actually paying (not asking) for them.

Back