Lodge Patents

MDFraley

In our C.I.C. Patent Database under "Lodge" there is only patent dates of 1997-2008. Seeing how Lodge has been around for 100+ years I would have suspected that there would have been earlier patents from them but I can not find any.
I try and study our data base when I can so that I don't make a fool of myself while posting a thread or answering a members question. I picked up what I believe to be an early lodge waffle iron w/base but find very little data regarding it. It has raised numbers on it which we normally associate with Lodge but other than that no additional marks.
Surely they didn't just copy other manufactures designs and simply didn't mark them did they? I'm continuously trying to learn more about the C.I history so if any of you can shed some light on this subject I would love to know more.
Thanks in advance....

I would say that for the most part what Lodge produced was not sufficiently unique to seek patent protection. Skillets, waffle irons, and DOs were all pretty generic utensils, unless they had some distinguishing feature that could be patented as an improvement. And most of those improvements' functions could be duplicated in other ways that did not infringe. Just look at all the different basting elements on lids which all perform the same basic thing.

I'm sure what you say is in fact the truth. Guess I was wondering why there was not a patent on the Lodge waffle iron that had the handles unison with the paddles. Can't say that I have seen another waffle iron that is similar in appearance and it could very be that the design didn't perform as well as what Lodge thought it would. I think that particular waffle iron is featured on page 234 of the RB. I bought the base and two paddles a week ago except the paddles are not marked nor do they have the unison type handles. I may have it cleaned up enough in the next few days to submit a photo weather permitting.
Thanks again.

Michael,
You have convinced me that I'm hunting on the wrong side of Houston. That waffle iron on p 234 is pretty unique. I hope yours cleans up nicely. I'm looking forward to the pictures.

Jack

Back