Lodge #8 Three Notch Cast Iron Chicken Fryer

AlfredoJ

My son picked this up and is wondering how old it might be. Other than the "8" on the bottom, we don't see any other letters. Any idea how to tell? Looks like he got a good deal for $25. Thanks.

Attachments

• chicken fryer bottom.jpg
    chicken fryer bottom.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 11
  • checken fryer.jpg
    checken fryer.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 10
  • chicken fryer lid.jpg
    chicken fryer lid.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 10
Looked at that page, thanks. From what I'm reading "There is still another use for letters, seen employed extensively by Lodge Manufacturing Co. starting in the late 1950s or early 1960s-- as model designations.". So am I to conclude that if there are no letters, the pan would be before the late 50s? I remember seeing one on Ebay (can't find it now) that said it was from the 1940s and I remember seeing letters. Sorry for the confusion.

Best not to rely on eBay sellers without a second opinion. I once saw one claim a skillet was from 1909 because it had a 9 on it.

Best not to rely on eBay sellers without a second opinion. I once saw one claim a skillet was from 1909 because it had a 9 on it.
Now that's a good one. It really doesn't matter the year. My son will be restoring and using his new CF. I just thought I might try and research it for him. Thanks for the help.

I found a CF for my sister and then decided I needed one for myself too. Found a 2nd a few months later. I use it a lot for mixed veggies that would be a bit too much for a skillet. Great pan.

Here are before and after pictures of my son's CF after stipping and 2 layers of seasoning. Looking pretty good.

Attachments

• Lodge CF.jpg
    Lodge CF.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 13
Back