J Savery and Son

Norman Martin

Cleaning up family estate, came across 15 inch DO with lid. the lid has the Phoenix Work and J Savery and Son. On the bottom of the Dutch Oven it has the phoenix emblem and 15 . it is rusty, no cracks somewhat pitted on the lid. I know nothing about cast iron, but this thing looks old. My family is old time 5th generation ranchers. I want to clean it up correctly. this one has a wire handle. , there is another one, but it has fence wire for a handle and the lid is in a bad way. it is somewhat smaller. any help would sure be nice. thank you Norm

Here on some pictures of the larger one. It does not say J Savery anywhere, it does have 15 inch on the lid, and the logo

Attachments

• IMG_9604.jpg
    IMG_9604.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9606.jpg
    IMG_9606.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9609.jpg
    IMG_9609.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9608 (1).jpg
    IMG_9608 (1).jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:
If you plan on doing other cast iron pieces, and looking at the rust you have to deal with, I for one would invest in an eTank set up.

Some early pots / kettles never came with handles attached, they would use forged iron hinged hooks to lift the piece. If your ears on the pot are not broken, I am more willing to believe it never came with a handle. Who knows?

If you plan on doing other cast iron pieces, and looking at the rust you have to deal with, I for one would invest in an eTank set up.

Some early pots / kettles never came with handles attached, they would use forged iron hinged hooks to lift the piece. If your ears on the pot are not broken, I am more willing to believe it never came with a handle. Who knows?
thank you so much for your reply , I should probably be in the beginner section here, But the history of these old pieces has captivated my imagination. The quality of the workmanship is fascinating . I have some old cast iron waffle irons I love , and so do the grandchildren, when camping we use them. I would sure like to clean these up , and maybe use them again . thanks again , rust is the biggest issue here I think , I will look into an e tank , any advice here is helpful too, the best one for the least cost ha ha .

thank you so much for your reply , I should probably be in the beginner section here, But the history of these old pieces has captivated my imagination. The quality of the workmanship is fascinating . I have some old cast iron waffle irons I love , and so do the grandchildren, when camping we use them. I would sure like to clean these up , and maybe use them again . thanks again , rust is the biggest issue here I think , I will look into an e tank , any advice here is helpful too, the best one for the least cost ha ha .
Your welcome. We all started in the beginner section, so no worries. The history and craftsmanship always has my attention. I like to peel back the layers of history and the how of why something was made. When I was a little boy I took apart every watch, transistor radio, toy, I touched everything and still do. I took the dome light down in my Grandparents Buick, he had to take it back to the dealer to get fixed, so they tied paper bags on my hands for punishment but I got out of them. Only difference now is I can put everything back together that I take apart.

Do a search on here for eTanks find the size and set up that works best for you. Safety first, as it sounds like you have little ones around.

Please, Do Not work your iron with a grinder or wire wheel or sand blast. The electrolysis is the least damaging method to remove rust. It releases the rust from the metal surface, so as to preserve what you can of that workmanship that you have an eye on.

D_Madden is spot on. (y)

Your welcome. We all started in the beginner section, so no worries. The history and craftsmanship always has my attention. I like to peel back the layers of history and the how of why something was made. When I was a little boy I took apart every watch, transistor radio, toy, I touched everything and still do. I took the dome light down in my Grandparents Buick, he had to take it back to the dealer to get fixed, so they tied paper bags on my hands for punishment but I got out of them. Only difference now is I can put everything back together that I take apart.

Do a search on here for eTanks find the size and set up that works best for you. Safety first, as it sounds like you have little ones around.

Please, Do Not work your iron with a grinder or wire wheel or sand blast. The electrolysis is the least damaging method to remove rust. It releases the rust from the metal surface, so as to preserve what you can of that workmanship that you have an eye on.

D_Madden is spot on. (y)
Thanks, my first thought was wire wheel , then went to sand blast, then, I will do alot of bad to this old pot trying to do good if I dont seek some help. I too when younger took things apart , and made many mistakes. I used my pocket knife to clean a dirty morgan silver dollar. Ms Liberty wasnt looking so good when I got her shiny.

technically yes... but it is quite slow. compared to electrolysis (which I would consider the preferred method). your camp oven is quite old and somewhat valuable... there are collectors of the phoenix foundry pieces.
Is the Phoenix foundry John Savery and son New York ?

I stumbled across this forum and signed up. I have a fair collection and been having problems identifying this kettle. Savery seems to be a match. Any info on time period and such would be great.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231203_181138_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231203_181138_Gallery.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20231203_181150_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231203_181150_Gallery.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 7
Hello, and welcome, I think you have made it to the right place. It sure looks old , I hope someone here can Identify it for you and help you with information. best wishes

Back