Is this plating or what on this Wagner handle?

EdC

So I found a Wagner No. 8, Stylized Logo, No Heat Ring. It appears to be in fantastic condition... very flat and no wobble and clean surface... but I can't figure out what kind of plating/finish is on the handle.

Notice how most of it is like bare iron and takes a seasoning well. But the handle has remnants of a plating of some sort.

Do you think this was originally a plated piece but got so well worn that all that's left is some light plating on the handle? Or was this handle treated separately? Or maybe a handle was used that had a silver inside that got rubbed off?

Curious what you all think. Thank you for looking!

Image_20230423_203243_252mod.jpeg
Image_20230423_203243_713mod.jpeg
Image_20230423_203242_986mod.jpeg
Image_20230423_203243_487mod.jpeg

Not sure what's going on there, but by the time that piece was made, Wagner was no longer doing plating. Also, bear in mind that clean, unseasoned bare cast iron is silvery grey, not black.

Hmmm interesting, that would make this all the more mysterious! I was puzzled by the handle when I took it out of the lye tank, so I thought maybe it will darken up with seasoning. This is after about 4 rounds of seasoning and this handle is looking even more pronounced. It doesn’t seem to be taking any seasoning.

Back