Inherited Dutch Oven Questions

BKoepnick

Hi everyone, I recently inherited this dutch oven originally purchased by my great grandmother. My grandmother said GG likely bought it in the 20's or 30's. I could not find any markings, but wondered if someone recognized it from the hammered finish or design. Also, it seems to be in great condition, but it should be cleaned right? I can't imagine I would want to cook on that and eat it? So far I only have experience with new cast iron, thanks for your comments.

Edit, here is the link: http://imgur.com/a/60jEn#0

I am surprised that Doug or Steve haven't responded to your post. They are the ID experts.

The lid appears to be Lodge. I say that because they are the only ones I have seen with the pointed basting droppers. The pattern of the basters is unusual though. Also the hammered dimples are rather large which, again is an indication that it is Lodge.

It is a very nice pan and very much worth the time and effort to clean and re-season if you want to. Cleaning isn't necessary but I always clean to my finds because I don't know what they may have been used for.

Is that a hole in the 'assist handle'? If so, that's the first I have seen.

Jack

Last edited:
Although I have seen that basting dripper arrangement before, I can't recall its ID, if one was even made. It's not Lodge, the lid shape isn't right, and actually, Lodge hammered dimples, like Griswold, are normally very small in comparison to most others.

I didn't reply because I am stumped and was waiting to see what the expert experts had to say. First I thought Wagner because of the hammered cover but the drip points are not from Wagner and too different to be from Lodge and Lodge did not do that kind of hammering. Everything about the oven is just enough different that I can't figure it out. But it's a very nice looking quality oven and I would say from the later 1930s to early 40s.

Thank you so much for your comments, I truly appreciate them. I took a few more pictures for you guys to see of the "hole" in the assist handle, and also the handle which seems to be one of the neat/unique parts.

I do plan to give it a good revamp with information I have learned here on the site. Any additional comments would be awesome! Thanks again.

Image Image
Image Image

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

Sorry those are huge, it's been a while since I posted pics on a forum and I am not sure how to resize them.

I agree that its not Lodge or Wagner. The only dutch ovens I recall with a hole in the assist tabs are primarily the Lodge scalloped ovens. The hole looks factory, I know the ones on the scalloped Lodge DO have a small concave starting point on the bottom side. Its a really nice DO but I am no help with a maker either.

Back