Induction Stovetop

Bob Helland

I have a gas stovetop at home which works perfectly with my cast iron.

We recently got a small weekend house with an induction stovetop.

I've read several threads here that say induction works well with CI. I have not found this to be true myself.

Same skillets, here and weekend house.

Gas stove: Seasoning looks great. Keeps getting darker. Works fantastic.

Induction stovetop: Skillets were very well seasoned, but when I cooked with them on the induction stovetop, the seasoning seemed to (nearly) completely come off.

The first dish I made was a terrific cast iron mac and cheese recipe. Worked perfectly on the gas stove. Moved to electric oven to finish/brown surface.

Skillet held the seasoning throughout the cooking and cleaned up perfectly.

Same recipe, same skillet, but on the induction stovetop.

Seasoning started coming off immediately. Mac and cheese was full of small black bits. Looked terrible.

I cleaned the skillet and most of the bottom and the lower portion of the sides were brown.

I've tried to re-season the skillet in an electric oven, and while it's better, I can still clearly see the line of demarcation between the bottom/lower sides and the upper sides/outside of the skillet.

Still quite brownish on the bottom.

I've tried quite a few recipes with cast iron on the induction stovetop, none with tomatoes/etc., and I see this behavior every time.

Also, I do not have the induction stovetop blazing hot. I have it as low as I can and still get everything cooked. (So I do not believe I'm simply burning off the seasoning.)

Anyone else see this?

Cast iron is compatible with induction cooktops (although with caveats about scratching), and I've not heard this complaint before. What oil did you use for initial seasoning?

Cast iron is compatible with induction cooktops (although with caveats about scratching), and I've not heard this complaint before. What oil did you use for initial seasoning?
Crisco. I've got many cast iron pieces, all seasoned with Crisco.

Back