I'm Stumped! Unique Unmarked Cast Iron

Michael P.

I have searched and searched but I cannot identify this skillet. This came from an estate sale in the Pacific Northwest (USA).
1.) It is unmarked and has the exterior orange/red "flame" enamel of Descoware.
2.) The interior enamel is lighter gray than Descoware's Glissemaille and it is finely speckled instead of a solid color.
3.) The handle design looks a lot like Vollrath's did but it appears to have more depth to it. I have seen the same handle on two old Descoware skillets but they were marked.
4.) The rim is slightly flared and measures 10 7/16" rim to rim; 10 7/8" at the pour spouts (outside measurements). The rim is 1 7/8" tall (outside measurement).
5.) Now the kicker, the heat ring is inset and has 4 notches - I have never seen 4 notches on ANYTHING before. The heat ring is 7 3/4" in diameter measured on center.

My best guess is that this is Bruxelles Ware, made in France prior to purchase from GHC by Sanford in the 1940s when production was moved to Belgium but there is just not enough data out there to substantiate my suspicions. Also, my understanding is that Bruxelles Ware actually pioneered the flame pattern exterior enamel so it could very well precede the Descoware branding. Perhaps it is a USA made "me too" type of skillet? ...I would be forever grateful if someone knows something about this skillet.

Attachments

• IMG_9566.jpg
    IMG_9566.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9576.jpg
    IMG_9576.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_9571.jpg
    IMG_9571.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 49
Not Vollrath, and I'm fairly sure not domestic. I would tend towards Asian, specifically Japanese. Three notches are seen on some of those for sure. Four notches on Maid of Honor from Sears, but this one definitely not MOH.

Japan is definitely a possibility. They did a lot of the casting for European manufacturers and then sent the cast iron back to Europe for the enamel process so the products could still be marketed as "Made in France, Belgium, etc." Usually unmarked pieces were marketed through retailers such as Sears, Montgomery Ward, etc. but I am more interested in the manufacturer than the retailer...

I have a non-enamled piece that looks exactly like that, with the exception of some markings on the bottom of mine, including "JAPAN". It is, IMO, Michael, definitly Japanese.

Thanks! I did a search on eBay for "Japan cast iron skillet" and found the identical design that was raw/no enamel. It is stamped LEVCO and Japan. Mystery solved! Thanks folks!

I did some more digging and I am stumped again. Levcoware was owned by Liberty Import-Export Company LTD and registered Levcoware in Canada in 1972 dealing in cast iron cookware, plain or enameled. Good to know the approximate age of this skillet but I would love to discover the Japanese foundry that made this beautiful piece. I would assume that it was made before or after Levcoware was importing this model because it is unmarked. If anyone comes up with a nugget of additional information I would be grateful.

Michael, I've been working to solve that mystery ever since I acquired my little Japanese skillet. If you find the answer, please let me know.

Back