Identifying Number 10 Pan

MarkW

Identifying Number 10 skillet

So, collecting old Coleman led me to trying to find some cast iron pans to use with some antique coleman stoves for yellow post camping out of the back of my jeep.

Now I have a pile of coleman stoves, and a pile of cast iron pans. The more I researched on the pans the more I found we should just start using them in the house. So anyway, I've had a pile of #8's griswolds, wagners, etc. Wanted to find something bigger and found this number 10 in a local antique store for cheap.

I've been trying to figure out who made it. I've been told it's possibly a Blacklock, but no one can be sure. I picked it up because I saw the gate mark and it sits flat. Here are the before/after pics.

Thanks,
Mark

Before:

After:

Interesting older pan. With these mystery pans, there is a tendency on the part of some collectors to want to take a single characteristic similar to that of a known maker and attribute the piece to that maker. Therefore, you get a lot of pans that have either raised molder's marks on the bottom or raised size numbers on the top of the handles being called Blacklock. On this one, there wouldn't really be a point in putting the size number on both the top and the bottom, so that provides the first clue that it may be a copy, along with the raised number being oriented upside down from the norm. With the bottom gate mark, one might guess a recast using an Erie skillet, but with that long rib on the underside of the handle, one might also expect to see a handle reinforcement pad as well. Or maybe it's from an older Wagner or a Vollrath.

Back