Identification help please

GeorgeS

I posted on this before and was going to add to that post but it has disappeared. So I'm going to start over. This griddle belonged to my great grandmother and was passed down to me from my Aunt. I had to clean it because it had a lot of pet fur stuck to it and had a heavy cigarette smoke smell. It has an anchor right at the end of the handle closest to the griddle on the back and I found an 8 in the same spot on the top of the handle. Thanks in advance for any help.

Image Image

Image Image

An issue with your photo hosting account is making your images unviewable. The original thread was rendered useless as a result. Search the forum for the term "mycastironphoto" for the sticky post containing a better option.

When the makers didn't put their name or initials on their pans it's nearly impossible to identify and such is the case with your interesting griddle. I don't think I have seen that anchor mark before but have an early pan or two with different anchors.

Thank you very much for the info. I will just have to enjoy it and not worry about knowing who made it. Do you have any idea how early this griddle is? It's been used by every generation from great grandmother to grandmother and them dad and aunt. I do plan to use it for some searing work. I think my grandmother would be disappointed with me if I hung it on a wall and didn't use it. I have been told as long as I don't shove it into a hot over without preheating it that it should be just fine to use. Do you all have any concerns to pass along or things to be careful of while using it?

I can see no problem putting a pan into a very hot oven even with the pan being cold. The heat is evenly distributed over the pan and will heat by convection, not by direct contact with a heating element. With cast iron being a poor conductor of heat it will heat slowly in the oven as well as evenly. I'd take a guess at the 1870s for your griddle.

Back