ID Help - mostly unmarked #10 cast iron pan

VenkatRL

Hello all,

I’m restoring my first cast iron pan, and being new to the process I was hoping that someone could help me identify this pan. I found it in an attic, and have gradually undone years of neglect with a lye bath followed by electrolysis, and finally re-seasoning (in progress).

The bottom of the pan reads “11 3/4 INCH SKILLET MADE IN USA” and the back of the handle is marked with a tiny “A.”

The top of the pan is unmarked except for a “10” on the handle.

I would appreciate any help in identifying this skillet. Thanks in advance. I am happy to provide additional pictures if they would be helpful.

Thanks again,

Venkat

Attachments

• skillet_back.jpg
    skillet_back.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 50
  • skillet_front.jpg
    skillet_front.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 38
Thanks for your reply - the information and the link were helpful. There are still a few details that I'm curious about. The first has to do with the small "A" on the back of the handle. I haven't been able to find much about what this would signify. I'd appreciate any additional thoughts or links if you have any follow-ups.

The last few details have to do with the skillet's brand and age. Based on your suggestions I was able to learn that Wagner added the "MADE IN U.S.A." after 1959 -- but both they and Griswold were bought out around that time, and until 1999 a few from each brand looked almost the same except for adhesive paper labels. Would you (or any other readers) happen to have any thoughts on how I can read more about whether the initial (lost) paper label would classify it as a Wagner or Griswold -- and also, read more about what "alternate marketing channels" might have been (does this refer to skillets sold at places like Sears, or hardware stores)?

Thanks again,

Venkat

Last edited:
At the point these were made, the company had dropped inscribing into the pieces the combination of pattern/catalog numbers and pattern identifier letters. Wagner packaging still reflected the old catalog number for some period of time thereafter. The A on yours would have to be a quality control device, a means to identify which pattern made which piece in case of casting defects, just as the letters after the numbers did under the previous scheme. On some of these unmarkeds, the letter appears on the bottom, just below the descriptive markings.

The other marketing channels would have been hardware stores, department stores, or any vendor who needed a product at a lower price point. Wagner could supply discounted unmarked goods without sacrificing brand image. Sort of like laundry detergent today, where many brands are offered at various price points, but are actually made by only a handful of companies.

Back