I made chicken and dumplings last week, too!

SpurgeonH

I meant to post these pics last week, but got busy and forgot. I started out thinking I was going to take step-by-step pictures, like Eric, but then I got cooking and chatting with my wife and I missed a few steps...

Here are the pictures I ended up with. I used a Dutch oven (I think it is an unmarked Wagner?) and the lid from my BSR chicken fryer. I made the roux in a regular stainless steel saucepan. (Forgot to take a picture of that step.) The dumplings were gluten-free.

I cooked the cornbread in my mom's #8 BSR (made in USA era). I did the cornbread a little different this time. I usually grease her pan with PAM after preheating it. This time I heated the pan in the oven, took it out, and put a big chunk of butter in it. Then I put it back in the oven for a minute or two to melt the butter. Then I poured the melted butter into the batter and stirred it in. The result was a browner crust and some nice marbling on the top of the cornbread.

https://imgur.com/a/7dqug

Looks good. I never thought about lining my cornbread pan with butter (I normally use peanut oil), but I'll definitely try it next time.

How long did you boil the chicken and did it affect the seasoning in your DO?

Lookin' good.

A question - as a camping shortcut my dumplings were just quartered Pillsbury sourdough biscuits. They worked out well, but still...

How'd you do your dumplings?

Mike - about 45 minutes

Kevin - I've used bacon grease in the pan before, but not in the batter itself. I'll have to give it a try!

Eric - I'll post the recipe I used in the recipe section. I tried a new one this time. I ran across it in a YouTube video of all places. Ha! It looked good, so I gave it a try. Not as good as my mom's, but my wife liked it.

Edit: Mike, I forgot to respond about the effect it had on the seasoning. I wish I had taken pictures, or better yet, a video! We served ourselves out of the pot. I moved it to one of the cold eyes while we ate... but it was 45 minutes or more before I came back to pour out the leftovers and clean it. The bottom of the pot had a heavy crust of roux/veggies chunks on the bottom. I had a moment of panic, thinking this was going to be a miss to clean. However, when I went to "scrape" it with a silicone spatula, the baked on mess lifted up as if it wasn't even attached to the bottom. It just peeled right off! There was only one little spot I had to scrub a little. I put the pot back on the eye on "low" for about five minutes, rubbed the inside with a very light coat of lard, wiped it as clean as possible with a cotton towel, and it was good to go for the next time.

Last edited:
Back