Hanging pans in a lye bath.

KevinB

I'm thinking of using some left-over copper wire to hang the pans in my new lye bath. I could hook it over the edge, and not have to fish around in the lye solution to remove the pans. Anyone see a problem with this?

Doesn't seem to be a clear consensus as to whether copper does or does not react with lye. Wire coat hangers don't.

I have not used copper for the one reason that copper is to soft and can bend if the piece is heavy.

I will say this copper and the e-tank is a no no.

Best to stick with what Doug D. stated.

I made a bunch of heavy gauge wire S hooks of different lengths, just pick what size I need.

I been using some real stiff electric fence wire I got with a grab pile at an auction once. About the only thing it is good for as it is to stiff for anything else.

Thanks for the ideas. I've been cleaning out my basement and garage and need to look through the scrap metal pile to see if I have anything that might work. I have some scrap angle iron I can use as an electrode for an e tank, but I wanted to start out with a lye tank. Mostly to strip and re-season my daily use cast iron skillet that my wife got overly aggressive cleaning. Pretty much stripped off the seasoning.

Back