Gum-Griddle of Unkown Make

Found this bad boy at Cline's Antiques in Mount peasant, NC (or as I call it "THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH"). Bought six pans there for $12, actually found this on the way out...
It cleaned up like a dream. The pics don't do it justice. I left some of the carbonization on the cooking surface. I didn't want to get too aggressive with it and mess it up.

Anyway I'm guessing 19th century and the maker cannot be definitively named. Am I correct in this assumption?

Any guesses to it's value?

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

wanted to add a couple "Before" pics:

Nice cleanup on your griddle. You are right, no way to know the maker and probably 19th century but could be in the early 20th century also.

Thanks for the great replies and pics!

This was a particularly satisfying clean-up. It came out so much better than I ever expected.

So I used this a couple times and decided to give it more time in the lye. So there it sat for a couple weeks. When I took it out I hit it with fine steel wool and BAM! Great results.

That's good, real good . Laughed out loud two times! I will file that away for future use with your permission.
Tim

That skillet turned out real fine. Polished cooking surface Un-like my skillet like yours and some others that I have seen are Un-polished. I just completed the cleaning and seasoning of a #10 bailed handle griddle that has the same polishing marks as your pan. I do not have a photo of it before seasoning.

Back