Griswold Slant with Block Logo

Jeffrey R.

Picked up this cover and pot set from the same estate. Only Griswold pot there. Why would the cover be slant logo and the pot be block logo. The person from the estate said that that was the way it was given to them years ago?

It was so crusty at the time I could not see the logos.

The cover is a Slant logo #2551 The BB has it listed as a cover for a #8 Dutch Oven.
The pot is a Block logo #833, #8 Dutch Oven.

https://picasaweb.google.com/114772661409714296598/JeffreyR#6056762367672663522

2 photos to the right.

Thank you

If they estate person said "years ago", and not "80 years ago", then it was probably a gift from someone who had purchased the pot at one time and place, and then at a different time and place found the lid that fit the pot (size match not style match).

I currently have a #10 small logo skillet, with a #10 large logo lid. I purchased each when I found them, they were not a matched set that had been together since originally purchased.

I also have a matched set, #8 large logo block letter skillet, and large logo block letter lid. These also were bought as seperate item about 6 month apart.

If I happen upon another #8 large logo block letter lid, I will have a matched set to give to my sister for Christmas.

See: http://www.castironcollector.com/CICN/cicn31.php

From what I have read over the years, there are enough reports of sets with mis-matched logos having been acquired new to support the probability that Griswold sold them that way. It is widely accepted that TM changes did not happen abruptly, and that makers (and buyers) back then were apparently not overly concerned by such things.

If they estate person said "years ago", and not "80 years ago", then it was probably a gift from someone who had purchased the pot at one time and place, and then at a different time and place found the lid that fit the pot (size match not style match).

I guess I should have said that the set was passed in the same family years ago. They believe that it the original cover and pot, as they only had one dutch oven set that they knew about. Family treasure.

So Doug, Very interesting makes sense. So what are my changes of finding a slant logo # 8 pot to match. My pot has some issues on the bottom as you can see.

Back