Griswold Slant Logo #8

Griswold "slant Erie" skillets are seen with and without a size number on the top of the handle. Since it appears that several "slant EPU" skillets were made from modified "slant Erie" patterns, that pattern variation persisting is what you're observing in your two pieces.

So, you are saying that Erie pattern skillets did not have the # on the top of the handle?

Looking in the BB pg. 12 lower left corner, If you look at the back of the handle it does not look like mine. My handle looks more like same page top left corner, same as pg. 19 the Victor skillets. Or is it the photos in the book?

Thank you.

I'm saying that skillets with the "slant Erie" markings (italic trademark with only "ERIE" beneath) are seen both with and without a size number on the top of the handle.

There will also be variation in handle design for what otherwise seem to be the same pieces. Also attributable, one would guess, to the practice of re-purposing old patterns by modifying them with newer markings, but not necessarily modifying other design characteristics like handles.

Hang on, I am spinning here.
So both slant Erie with only "ERIE" beneath, and slant EPU, are seen both with and without a size number on the top of the handle. Both my pans being slant EPU.
Did they do this with all slant logo pan sizes or just the most common / popular size?

One would think this is a different variation skillet not listed in the book, no number, and also different handle. Is their any collector value without the #.

Some "slant Erie" skillets have the numbers on top. Some don't. Not by design, but rather by happenstance. Either the pattern maker(s) made some with and some not, or, more likely, that some patterns were modified earlier patterns which never had numbers on top to begin with. And those variations trickled down to the "slant EPU" skillets because they were made from modified old patterns. I have seen different size slant Eries with and without. My assumption is that those without are from modified earlier patterns, rather than someone just forgot to put the number on the handle.

I would not consider it a variation in the same sense as the variations in gem pans, but rather just an unintentional inconsistency.

All that being said, is it something that a real collector looks for?
Just for s&*t & Giggles.
Variation does not apply to the number or lack of. But what about the back side of the handle? I do not see any slant with this style in the BB.

Depends on the collector, but I would guess no. I can think of 3 or 4 handle design variations I've seen on slant logo skillets, but it doesn't appear to be something the book authors felt was necessary to spend time and effort illustrating.

I have such a slant logo #7 skillet, without the size number on the top of the handle. The handle bottom is a smooth design. It appears more 'modern' than my #8 large block pan with a reinforced handle. I really enjoy seeing these subtle variations of the older designs.

Back