Griswold Rabbit Cake Mold

I just got this but I'm a little concerned that it might be a repro. The lettering looks good per the BB, if perhaps not quite as deep as the original as pictured.

How do I measure dimensions? Does it look right to you? Certainly, the detail is excellent, the fonts are serifed, etc.

Prices on these seem to be way, way under BB values. Is this because of a change in desire, too many fakes produced and therefore too much risk?

Comments appreciated. And I've been warned that once I've cleaned and either of us has used it to make a cake, don't even think about selling it. Apparently, the very large rabbit we found dumped in August in a state forest who now lords (ladys? it _IS_ a girl) it over the 90 pound dog and 22 year old cat and the cake mold strongly resemble each other.

http://stormforge.net/gallery/index.php/Griswold-Rabbit-Mold-862-863?page=1

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

Sales of these on eBay are way under BB values. Shipped, I paid a fraction of the BB range for iron finish.

Looks legit to me. On the real ones, the top of the 3 in 863 is a straight line, the letters I in GRISWOLD and ERIE have a foot and a top (serifs), and the overall detail of the casting (especially under the eyes) are the points to look for.

Your bunny looks good to me also. I think ebay has brought more rabbits out of their pens resulting in more supply with no more demand; maybe even less demand as people have had a decade of ebay to get one in their collection.

Thanks. Good to know.

I suspect the decade of eBay to be the culprit as well. My cousin had the largest military collectible business in the country which he has since sold. eBay hammered the militaria show business (he owned some shows) and the auction business (he owned part of the best militaria auction house). At one time, he'd do $70K on a bad weekend which became $15K on a good one.

I suspect the cast iron world has some odd ducks at events, just like the militaria world. Some of the same people likely.

Back