griswold large block logo No. 3 smooth bottom skillet

Stephanie D.

I am looking to possibly purchase a no 3 Griswold skillet. When I look it up in the books, I see the No 2 are quite valuable but the No 3 is significantly lower. Just curious as to why?

#3 and #8 skillets are probably the most often seen, primarily because they were the most popular sizes. If you weren't buying a set, you bought those sizes which were the most useful, and those seem to be the two that fit the bill most of the time, perhaps followed by a #10. #2s were also not apparently made throughout the entire timeframe of the production of the manufacturers who made them, so fewer of them exist to begin with. In the collectibles game, scarcity typically equates to value.

Thank you! I bought a 10 slant Griswold last week for $20.00 working on stripping it now & will post pics when I'm done. I've noticed the value seems decent for the price I paid. No chips, cracks, etc. but I noticed a small "pimple" on the side that appears to be from casting. Does that affect the value?

Probably not Stephanie. These pans were turned out as tools for cooking and minor flaws probably didn't matter to buyers. It's rare to find a perfect old casting; they are not jewelry. It would depend on how big the pimple was but most small flaws are not a problem. I always look for the best castings and markings I can find but even they are not perfect.

Back