Griswold Griddle

Scott J.

I saw this in an antique mall today. I balked at the $90 price before checking it out.

It most closely matches BB pg 55 except for the employees' marks.
RB page 141 bottom left picture has PA and USA. Right picture has different handle hole.

A lot of vendors around here are not quite as knowledgeable as they think they are. If it really is 1909-1920, maybe $90 isn't too bad. If it's more like 1950s, I think I'll pass even though it is Griswold. I already have several griddles.

Any thoughts on the real age?

Attachments

• Griswold Griddle 1.jpg
    Griswold Griddle 1.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Griswold Griddle 2.jpg
    Griswold Griddle 2.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 22
If the griddle with the initials is actually from 1957, it was made using a old pattern. And if the p/n is 758 as it appears to be, that's inconsistent with the numbers in the books' listing. It seems Griswold was forever monkeying around with handle griddle patterns, revising marks, adding marks, removing marks and reinforcement ridges. I would say the one with PA and USA is later than yours without those marks, and the book's 1909 date should be more like 1920.

Thanks. If it's still there tomorrow, I think I'll get it.

There was also a Singer sewing machine that my sister is interested in.

I went back today to give it a closer look. It didn't quite sit flat so I didn't get it.

Doug, thanks for the help.

Could it be the wobble came from the X reinforcment? Im not that knowledgeable on these pans.

My guess would be, if the pan warped in spite of the X reinforcement, that the X then became a liability rather than an asset. Probably why we see ghosts of its removal.

Back