Griswold 666. New with original sticker questions?

TDBiles

Good Morning,

We ran across a Griswold 666 Colonial Breakfast Skillet yesterday. It was the time that we've seen an item with the original sticker and unused.

Couple of questions:
-There appears to be what is a black coating that was applied to it for preservation from the factory. What is this called?
-Being that we clean and plan to use the cast iron that we find, and we're not sure what we'd do with this piece, we'll probably get this item to new home. Thinking that there is collectors that want "new with original sticker" items. What do you think would be a fair price for it?

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/112313087971357634600/albums/5983573530047563361

Thanks!

I agree, very nice find.
I am not sure what the black coating is, other that some kind of rust prohibitive. As for the price that depends on how bad a collector want / needs it to complete his / her collection.

Myself being a logging and sawmill tool collector + other things, found an early two man logging saw with the factory rust prohibitive still on the blade. It took me about a week to get it all cleaned off. It is now hanging in my sawmill Items like this are as close to new as one can get. As for the price, I did very good.

Originally, pieces were coated with a lacquer as a rust inhibitor, which required scouring to remove before proceeding with seasoning and use. Later, pieces were seen touted as being pre-seasoned, but still directing the purchaser to wash, dry, coat with fat and heat on low for an hour, then wash and dry again before use. I would guess yours to be the former.

Back