Griswold 109 Cast Iron Skillet Griddle

Scott J.

Until I get straightened out on posting photos, words will have to do.

I have 2 Griswold 109 Cast Iron Skillet Griddles. One has pour spouts, a large slant logo and shows up in the Red book and/or Blue book. It has mold marks of 202. I also have a 109 CI Skillet Griddle without pour spouts but with a helper tab opposite the handle. Both are labeled 109. The one I am interested in dating has a small logo, Erie PA and 202B mold mark. I cannot find it in either the Red or Blue book. I expect it is from the late 1940s or early 1950s since my parents were married in 1949. Any help?

What size. I took a medium size picture at 1200 x 1600 for 746 KB. Whenever I drag and drop a photo the KB always goes down some. I read the instructions and thought that this size would be OK and then when it showed up here it would be resized automatically. I guess I'm still missing something on how to do this.

Last edited:
I think there is a problem with IMGUR anonymous and I don't want to mess with my DNS stuff without consulting a friend who knows about that stuff. So, I will do the last resort. I think the attachments should be small enough. I titled the pictures skillet but they are skillet griddle pictures.

Attachments

• Skillet Top.jpg
    Skillet Top.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Skillet Bottom.jpg
    Skillet Bottom.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 37
I thought I'd add my large logo Griswold Skillet Griddle pictures for a comparison of the same #109 and Pattern 202. The older, large logo, has pour spouts and no helper tab but the newer one has a helper tab but no pour spouts.

Attachments

• Griswold Large Logo Griddle Top.jpeg
    Griswold Large Logo Griddle Top.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 10
  • Griswold Large Logo Griddle Bottom.jpeg
    Griswold Large Logo Griddle Bottom.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 10
I always thought Skillet Griddles were kinda cool. A regular round griddle upside down looks like a skillet griddle, but with the Name showing. I wouldnt cook like that, im just saying.......at least a Wapak does.......

If the bottom was "depressed" toward the top and, of course, the handle was upside down I'd agree. Don't know about the Wapak but on the Wagner and Favorite griddles I have, the cooking surface is slightly depressed from the outside edge.

This is the profile of my Favorite Piqua Ohio griddle.

Attachments

• Griddle Profile 1.jpeg
    Griddle Profile 1.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Griddle Profile 2.jpeg
    Griddle Profile 2.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 13
Round handle griddles which resemble extremely shallow skillets are known as "old style" griddles. Those on which the cooking surface sits largely atop an outer ring are considered "new style". What Wagner called a "shallow skillet", Griswold called a "skillet griddle", both being a bit less shallow than a typical old style griddle.

Thanks for the terminology info.

So would my Favorite Piqua Ohio above would be considered a "new style"?

Back