Griswold #1 Cast Iron Pot (Toy / Salesman Sample?)

JStashko

Hi ya'll! First I'd love to say I'm a huge cast iron fan and take good pair of my beauties and use them all the time, love that there is this forum and website here for info.

I picked up this little cutie at a neighborhood yard sale, just wondering if anyone could shed some light on some history or info about it. It is marked only with "GRISWOLD" and a "1" on the handle. About 4 inches wide and tall. Doesn't seem like it's ever been used. I've done quite a bit of searching with what google can offer, but haven't found any info on something like this. I am guessing it was some kind of toy or "salesmans sample". Wondering if it is a fake, since it doesn't have any markings other than the logo.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_8987.JPG
    IMG_8987.JPG
    249.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8995.JPG
    IMG_8995.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 11
  • rsz_img_8984.jpg
    rsz_img_8984.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 11
  • rsz_1img_8981.jpg
    rsz_1img_8981.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 11
  • rsz_1img_8980.jpg
    rsz_1img_8980.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 9
This falls into the category of reproduction/counterfeit, albeit a more rarely seen one. Two clues to Griswold authenticity (or the lack thereof in this case) are the logo in bas relief, which Griswold did not do, and the lack of a 2 to 4-digit pattern number, which Griswold always did. Additionally, Griswold's casting quality on their toy pieces was always on par with that of their full size ware, with smooth castings and finishing.

Back