Grey/Green Residue when applying oil to re-season a restored skillet

BrianK

Hello Everyone. I bought a skillet at the thrift store. I stripped it with oven cleaner. Washed it. Then a vinegar bath. When applying oil I keep getting a grey/green residue on the towel. No matter how long I wipe it won’t go away. This is my first time restoring a skillet. I’m attaching some pictures of the skillet and the towel. Any help is appreciated.
I think the skillet is a Volrath.
Thanks
Brian

IMG_4143.jpegIMG_4139.jpeg
IMG_4141.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4142.jpeg
    IMG_4142.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4138.jpeg
    IMG_4138.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 7
Hi Brian. Are you washing again after the vinegar bath? The last steps that I take after the heavy cleaning are to scrub a minimum of 2-3 times with Dawn dish soap, then rinse well with cold water and dry thoroughly before starting the seasoning process. Otherwise, your skillet looks good and yes, it's a Vollrath.

Hi Brian, I agree with you and Chuck. The skillet certainly looks like Vollrath. I have only been lucky enough to come across a marked #5 and a chicken fryer. Would love to pluck a #8 out of the wild. I was about half through a 45 minute road trip to pick up a dutch oven when I received the dreaded text... "I sold it to someone else". Such a PIA when that happens.
I often get flash rust while on the first round of seasoning after stripping a piece. Usually by the time I do a final wipe at 425 degrees it has disappeared. Just part of the fun.

Hi Brian. Are you washing again after the vinegar bath? The last steps that I take after the heavy cleaning are to scrub a minimum of 2-3 times with Dawn dish soap, then rinse well with cold water and dry thoroughly before starting the seasoning process. Otherwise, your skillet looks good and yes, it's a Vollrath.

Hello Chuck,
Thanks for the reply. Yes. I did wash it. I even scrubbed it a bit with SOS pads. I don’t really notice the residue when drying it. Only when I apply the oil.
Brian

Hi Brian, I agree with you and Chuck. The skillet certainly looks like Vollrath. I have only been lucky enough to come across a marked #5 and a chicken fryer. Would love to pluck a #8 out of the wild. I was about half through a 45 minute road trip to pick up a dutch oven when I received the dreaded text... "I sold it to someone else". Such a PIA when that happens.
I often get flash rust while on the first round of seasoning after stripping a piece. Usually by the time I do a final wipe at 425 degrees it has disappeared. Just part of the fun.

Thanks. I found it at goodwill after telling the person that was cutting my hair I never find cast iron there. Lol

Back