Fruit & Lard Press (similar to Griswold, but not Griswold) electrolysis woes

J. Tabor

Hey everyone, I'm new here, but not new to restoring cast iron. I recently picked up a fruit & lard press, similar to a Griswold No. 2 4 quart. It's nearly identical, in fact, except a few details as well as an almost total lack of markings (I see some, but they've been pretty well rubbed away, and none of them match the Griswold markings).

I was under the impression that the bulk of it was cast iron, and thus into my electrolysis tank it went. For about 3 minutes, until I saw a milky white substance coming off of it. I pulled it out, and noticed a distinct color and texture difference between what was in the tank and what was sticking out (my tank isn't deep enough for the entire thing to fit). See pictures for an example of what I mean.

The metal that was in the tank ended up gray, and feels all the world like galvanized steel. I'm now reading that these may have been galvanized cast iron, or perhaps just tinned. It's difficult to find information. Anyone know what I'm dealing with here, and what the proper method would be on this?

PXL_20230907_211948088sm.jpgPXL_20230907_212001912sm.jpgPXL_20230907_212018007sm.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230907_212001912sm.jpg
    PXL_20230907_212001912sm.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 0
There's always a concern with any non-ferrous metals and electrolysis, particularly aluminum, which will dissolve. Many food processing implements, choppers, etc. had tinned parts, but I haven't seen reports of using electro to clean them. I suppose since those types of things didn't have polymerized fats in need of removal like skillets and DOs, the chances of conventional CI cleaning processes being used were practically nil. Does a magnet stick to the affected part?

I've seen griswold versions that were either plated or 'galvanized' or some sort of coating over the iron.

There's always a concern with any non-ferrous metals and electrolysis, particularly aluminum, which will dissolve. Many food processing implements, choppers, etc. had tinned parts, but I haven't seen reports of using electro to clean them. I suppose since those types of things didn't have polymerized fats in need of removal like skillets and DOs, the chances of conventional CI cleaning processes being used were practically nil. Does a magnet stick to the affected part?

Sorry for the late reply!

Prior to going into the electrolysis tank, everyone I showed this to said "cool cast iron fruit press." It looks cast iron. It feels cast iron. A magnet sticks to every part of it, so it's definitely ferrous. Hence why it went into the tank like my other cast iron.

I've seen griswold versions that were either plated or 'galvanized' or some sort of coating over the iron.

Apologies for the late reply!

That's good info, and would certainly explain the reaction. I'll have to do some research on how best to clean and protect this, as it will be pressed (ha!) back into service. Do you know the best way to approach this?

Back