Foundries

Donna Hubbard

I have done a good bit of research on the Chattanooga Foundry Gibson and Lee, Gibson & Love, Frye & Williamson, Williamson and Company etc. (I am having health problems and stuck at home.) I get documented information off Newspapers.com, so it is not just hearsay. I have a lot of advertisements and owner info and obits. Also, I have been researching Hanks of Rome Ga (with much less success). But I was wanting to send this info to you for your foundry database if you could look it over to evaluate usefulness or not, later on. Do I need to email is or post it here? The Hanks family was from Cherokee County Alabama and moved to Ga, and I am in Etowah Alabama. Let me know. I was researching my cast iron pieces for future generations. I don't want to post too much on forum, or suddenly blow up your email. Either way is fine, If you don't need /want it that is ok too. You may have tons of info you haven't had time to post. I need to take some more photos of my pieces. This cast iron stuff is fun and full of history.

Im always curious about the history of Wapak. Not much info , but they made a lot of pieces. Ive never seen a picture of the foundry or any one that worked there, ect. Just interesting to say the least.

Interest in vintage cast iron cookware takes many forms. For some it's the designs, the markings, the fineness of the castings; for some others it's the superiority to the more "modern" iterations post-1959, and for yet others it's the history. Or it can be a combination thereof. The focus here has traditionally been to not necessarily emphasize one over the others, but to instead provide a sampling of multiple areas of interest, and let those wanting to delve further into what inspires them most about the hobby take those paths on their own. For me, I like knowing who made what and when, and some of the back story, but I doubt, even if I encountered them in research, I'd ever add things like foundry people's genealogies or obituaries to the website. If you'd like to share what you've discovered here on the forum, please feel free to do so.

On another note, here's a photo for Sean:

Attachments

• wapak.jpg
    wapak.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 16
Thank you so much for the pic! I have never seen a pic of the foundry, ever. You made my day! I guess for me, I like Wapaks due to they are all different, and they werent around a real long time. I think the skillets and such just have character.....Thank You again for the pic Doug.

Hello Donna, I saw a corn stick pan this past weekend that’s haunted me not picking up. I did not make a photo but it was cornbread/stick pan that was quite heavy with unusual handles shaped almost like a twig/branch. On the back were 2 gate marks and LEE could this be a Gibson Lee piece from Chattanooga? I can find very little about this company. Thanks in advance if you have any knowledge to share.

Tapping on a member's name or icon will show you the last time they visited the forum. The thread starter hasn't been here in six months, so a response may not be forthcoming.

Back