Estate sale find

CraigA.

Extremely light weight and smooth on the inside. Outside heatring and long narrow bottomgate.
Rim mounted hollowed handle with a rounded end and teardrop hole. Handle is slightly arched upward.
This all makes me think it's from the late 1800s but the two pour spouts make me not so sure.
Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm here to learn.

Some pics to view.
DSC08408.jpg

DSC08411.jpg

DSC08415.jpg

Thanks for any additional info you might have for me.

The pan itself doesn't look like it should be from the time period bottom gating was used. IOW, a recast. Look at the rim for artifacts of grinding, which would have been done to the original side-gated pan used as the pattern for this pan.

I don't see any signs of that.
The casting is pretty rough in spots but I don't see any grinding spots.
This has to be the lightest pan I've ever held.

Are you suggesting that a "newer" pan was used as a pattern and then poured the old gate marked method?

Interesting. I had no idea that would be a thing. Makes little sense to me. But thanks for your experience.

I'd still like to know what you saw that led you to your conclusion.
It might help me next time.

The divot in the top of the handle to me says something a legit foundry would have thrown in the furnace to be remelted. I would say look at the rim of the pan again. Is the reinforcement rim consistent in appearance the entire circumference of the pan (minus the handle)?

Thanks, Doug, for making me a bit wiser and hopefully a better cast iron collector.

Luckily, I bought it dirt cheap.

One question does remain: was the K added by whomever cast this pan, or was it on the pan used as a pattern? Maybe once it's de-rusted, it can be examined more closely to make a better assessment. My assumption could still be wrong.

I'll post some more pics in a few weeks.
Regardless of it's origin or value, I think it'll be a fine pan for cooking in and an interesting conservation starter.

The problem is that it may not be anywhere close to 1800s. And dating it's origin is completely impossible.

In the book "The Cast Iron Field Guide" Appendix B, Page 257; on August 6, 1867, Andrew Fales (Troy, New York) filed a patent for the "Two-Lipped Spider" (Skillet).
I know this doesn't help you date the item, but there were double lipped (pour Spouts) in the late 1800's..
Happy searching.

Back