Electrolysis Amperage

DEngland

I have been using the 5 amp setting on my charger for electrolysis but in reading a lot of the members here are recommending 10-15 amps. My charger has 5/20/40/200 amp settings. Would 20 amps be to much? My cast iron is family cast iron so all of the pieces have sentimental value so I don't have a piece that I am willing to risk without some advice anyway. Thanks for your help in advance!

Running at 20 amps shouldn't hurt anything, but you may not necessarily obtain any better results than with 5 or 10. Variables like size of piece, size of anode, strength of electrolyte all combine to result in an amperage draw (as opposed to amperage setting on the charger).

Just got my e-tank set up last week. My charger has two settings, 2 and 6 amps. Which setting should I use?

Bought a 3/8 piece of rebar as the anode. Is that an adequate size for skillets?

Just got my e-tank set up last week. My charger has two settings, 2 and 6 amps. Which setting should I use?

Mine has 2 and 10, and honestly I've not noticed any real difference between the two.

Bought a 3/8 piece of rebar as the anode. Is that an adequate size for skillets?

The more surface area you can get on the anode, the better the conductivity will be. It might work ok, but something flatter will be better.

I realize there are lots of variables, but what would you guys consider "average" amperage for cast iron such as skillets?

Or, in other words, what size charger would you recommend for purchase?

My estate sale find has apparently given out... :(

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

Just found this one at Kmart for $20.00:

Description Item # 9990000082692811P Model # 82692811
Plus Start Battery Charger Designed for Cars, Lights trucks, Motorcycles and Boats

Whether you are out on the highway or on the dock, this 6/2 Amp Charger can charge 6V and 12V batteries in cars, boats, light trucks, vintage cars, lawn tractors and motorcycles. Designed for utility and durability at an affordable price, the Plus Start Battery Charger is an efficient and reliable portable device to have on hand in case of an emergency loss of power.
The Plus Start Battery Charger can quickly charge either 6V or 12V batteries. It features a color-coded amp meter which provides a constant charging status. Metal chassis features a baked enamel finish This charger is easily transported with a convenient carrying handle
6/2 Amp Charger provides you quick, reliable power at an affordable price
Dual manual charging rates of 6A medium and 2A trickle
Charges either 6V or 12V volt batteries in passenger cars, light trucks, vintage cars, lawn tractors, motorcycles or boats
Color-coded amp meter provides constant charging status
Includes carrying handle and metal chassis with baked enamel finish
General Warranty: 2 Years Replacement

What do you guys think?

12V/6A should be sufficient for most pieces, certainly on just rust. May take a little longer than a higher amperage. More depends, I think, on how good a starting metal-to-metal connection you get on the piece itself.

Back