Electro question

DaleR

My tank doesn't easily accommodate pans bigger than a 9 very easily and I have a #11 to clean. Let me ask this potentially silly question...can I submerge the clamp attached to the pan? Or does that need to stay above water?

Submerged clamps will prematurely corrode. The jaws can subsequently be sanded or filed to restore good contact, but corrosion where the wire is connected to the clamp inside the handle can cause issues. Many avoid the problem by making jumper cables or by making the hanger for the pan out of something metal that can be clamped to it so the charger clamp can just be attached to it above the water line. I'm not sure what the problem is in the case you're describing, though.

I know there is higher potential for corrosion if you submerge the clamps, but I haven't had much issue with it.
I do prefer to keep the actual battery charger clamp clean and dry though. So I made 2 small cables using alligator clips on both ends and about 18" of #12 stranded wire. I clamp both of them to the submerged pan, and the other ends are clamped to the charger clamp (which is kept dry). These are easy to replace or remake. I like having 2 connection points to the pan. I usually put them on opposite sides, or one on the handle and another on the lip somewhere.

Have done about a dozen pans without any real issues. When I start a new pan I always check the current draw with a clamp on meter. This lets me know I have good connections.

Good Luck!

Back