Early Griswold #5?

Chris H

Picked this up for about $17 as part of a larger lot of Griswold skillets the other day. The markings are pretty faint on this one and there are a few little flaws around the heat ring.

Cleaned it up in the ETank pretty well. Lots of "utensil" marks, obviously used a lot over the years. Have only been able to find one ebay auction for the exact same skillet. The ebay one has much bolder markings however. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Griswold-Skillet-5-Heat-Ring-Erie-Pn-724-/261543259841

Wondering how common it is for these old ones to have such light markings and how much this thing is really worth. (Hoping its not a recast...)

Image Image

Fine Print: I'm no expert on Griswold.

Anything that's cast can have parts that aren't as detailed from one run to the next. A little odd that the 5 and the ERIE seem pretty deep but the logo doesn't.

Found one on eBay that looks to be the same era pan. Two things I noticed. Detail under the handle seems a bit off on yours. Maybe it's just the two different photos.

The other thing, yours doesn't have the 5 on top of the handle..

Attachments

• Gris-724_01.JPG
    Gris-724_01.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Gris-724_02.JPG
    Gris-724_02.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 19
I noticed that all of the 724s with no letter after them do not have a 5 on the handle, regardless of whether its an ERIE or an EPAU or heat ring/no heat ring. Handle design must've changed slightly between molds I would guess...

The slant Erie pieces are known for often having the TM not as heavily incised. I have an old DO on which the TM on the bottom of the lid is so faint it has breaks in the lines. Perhaps an occasionally heavy hand with the parting compound filled in some of the already shallow markings on the pattern. I don't see any other artifacts in the piece in the OP that would make me think it's a recast or a fake.

Back