Early Basin / Hanging Kettle American 1820 - 1860 Barn Find in Vermont

I could agree with that statement, Thank you, & Thank you for the thumbs up folks.

Most of the time I skip taking a before during and after photos, but this one is staying with me for a little while.

I have another Early Hanging Basin that was made for use over the fire / place, that I thought I had put on but can not find it here. So I will add some more eye candy soon. Need a day or two, setting up a new computer.

Hanging Fireplace Basin with Gate Mark, 1820 - 1840s
This basin has what you call a swivel made into the top of the handle for hanging over a fire.

Note the ears sit on top or the basin rim, not starting down the sides.

Ghost Marks: Marked in Red.
It is not uncommon for some early foundries, or Molders to use an earlier and damaged piece for a pattern to a mold. This is what you call Ghost Marks, they tell a story of a little history. Some still show Repairs to the original piece. The big difference is that the new piece does not have a crack or any damage as the pattern piece does. This basin is just one such piece.
A tell tale way of knowing that a piece has a crack. After cleaning and during the seasoning the cast iron will be heated and any cracks will open ever so slightly so the oil that you use for seasoning will seep into any cracks, as the piece cools the oil will be forced out and will leave a dark oil line over the crack. All Ghost Marked pieces will pass this test. Because the original damage does not go through the new piece.

This begs to question, was this practice in use, only in low budget foundries, or by a molder or foundry worker saving his favorite piece. Hard to understand why they would go to all the work of making a mold using a damaged piece and not fix the sand mold before casting to make a piece with out showing any damage from the original piece.
By recasting a damaged piece makes me think that the original piece is older than we think.

Cleaned & Seasoned

Hanging Fireplace Basin, 1820 - 1840s by Jeffrey R., on Flickr

Ghost Marks: Marked in Red.
Doug,
I did a search of Ghost Marks and nothing came back, I was thinking I had added this ghost mark but could not find it. So I just went through my posts after posting this, and presto I had added it to another post in July 2022. But you can see two examples of ghost marked pieces.

Hanging Fireplace Basin 1830 - 1840 by Jeffrey R., on Flickr

Hanging Fireplace Basin 1830 - 1840 by Jeffrey R., on Flickr

Hanging Fireplace Basin 1815 - 1840 by Jeffrey R., on Flickr

Enjoy

Last edited:
Back