Do you know what it is??

At first glance, I think most would ID it as an older Lodge. The raised 5, the handle shape, and the un-notched heat ring all consistent with early Lodge. But, one would also expect Lodge skillets from that era to be marked with LODGE in an arc, or to perhaps have evidence of that mark having been filled in. Also inconsistent are the incised 1 and P on the handle. Normally, the older Lodges had a raised small numeral or letter on the bottom at 6 o'clock. It may be someone's copy using an altered Lodge pan as a pattern. The irregularity at the bottom center might be a sprue mark, the point at which molten iron typically entered the mold of a "recast".

At first glance, I think most would ID it as an older Lodge. The raised 5, the handle shape, and the un-notched heat ring all consistent with early Lodge. But, one would also expect Lodge skillets from that era to be marked with LODGE in an arc, or to perhaps have evidence of that mark having been filled in. Also inconsistent are the incised 1 and P on the handle. Normally, the older Lodges had a raised small numeral or letter on the bottom at 6 o'clock. It may be someone's copy using an altered Lodge pan as a pattern. The irregularity at the bottom center might be a sprue mark, the point at which molten iron typically entered the mold of a "recast".

Thank You for your information.... It was very cruddy and nasty, but cleaned up nicely!! I will make great use of it. Doesn't look bad stacked with my Griswold and Wagner :p

Back