Deglazing Cast Iron

NashA

So, in a few recipes I follow, the recipe calls for a little white wine. Since the wine deglazes the pan, is it still safe to do in ci?

I've done it once in a new pan that is starting to build a proper season, and it didn't seem to affect the season at all. I am curious about what everyone else thinks.

Thanks!

If deglazing with a typically less-acidic white like Chardonnay or a Riesling, you would expect to have less of a problem. Dry reds, probably moreso. My steak pan is so well-seasoned, there's no problem deglazing and making a red wine pan sauce.

I deglaze all the time with no problem. You're just dissolving the fond. Pan sauces are typically quick, just a couple of minutes, so the exposure is brief. If you're doing something with a longer cook time, like braising or some kind of long-simmered sauce, then you might want to be more cautious.

I deglaze with wine occasionally and never gave it much thought. It's generally not in there long and if you lose a little seasoning you'll make it up the next couple times you use it. I'm just cooking and not looking it make a item for a art gallery:) I do enjoy learning how to get most versatility out of that type of cookware

Steve,

About the worst that happens is your patina goes from shiny to flat. More cooking or a wipe with oil fixes that.

I find that deglazing with wine is ok if it is quick. For chicken, which I tend to cook way too much, I deglaze with a few splashes of water which also removes the fawn from the bottom and adds flavor to the dish.

Back