Corona Griddle

Scott J.

My sister brought some cast iron from one of her friends who is helping another friend clear an estate. One of the items is a Corona griddle. It is not presented as vintage or collectable but I am interested if it is worth buying. It's a bit heavy compared to some similar size griddles that I have. I cannot find anything (quickly) on the internet about Corona. Anyone have any info on this?

Attachments

• Corona Griddle 1.jpg
    Corona Griddle 1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Corona Griddle 2.jpg
    Corona Griddle 2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Corona Griddle 3.jpg
    Corona Griddle 3.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 29
Mexican for sure. If its only going to be used, its good option, like over a camp fire. Save your others for the home stove. I bet it is fairly heavy too, like you said.

I can't find anything on Corona (except the beer) beyond some meat grinders with the Corona brand. Does anyone know anything about Corona? The griddle doesn't have any made in Mexico markings so I guess it was maybe in the packaging. Any idea on the age?

An internet search pointed towards Colombia as the country of manufacture. It also appears to have a connection with Victoria, a better-known brand of cast iron cookware. Although the image below is that of a corn mill, the logo matches the one on the skillet and it was manufactured in Colombia.
corona1.jpg

I found a connection to IMUSA and Victoria but did not see a connection with Corona. Well, one link connected IMUSA and Corona but I don't believe everything I see, especially when a picture of a tortilla press is identified as a griddle.

And IMUSA Corona pieces currently on Amazon, that use the same numbering convention as pieces with the Corona trademark, say country of origin China. When Corona was asked about here years ago, search results pointed to Mexico. Perhaps where it was made depends on when it was made.

I have found information regarding the Corona trademark on a web page called "Justia Trademarks". This might be of value to the knowledgeable members of this forum. I hope my posting of the link to Justia will not break any forum rules. If so, please remove it and accept my apologies.

Interesting. Perhaps it's akin to TMs like Bell & Howell, long ago associated with quality consumer movie cameras and projectors, but now seen on all manner of cheap imported electrical goods.

Thank you all for your research. I decided to let my sister take the Corona griddle back to her friend. I did get a Lodge CI Wok for a reasonable price because I kind of wanted one.

The pans were manufactured around 1910 by the Enterprise Enamel & Black Iron Company in Bellaire Ohio USA under the name Corona.

At the time these "Black Iron" pans were made, the Corona (Enterprise) Black Iron Company was considered one of the most elegant Black Iron suppliers of pans. The Corona is now somewhat less well known than Griswold and Wagner brand pans, for example, but are rarer as a result.

Happy hunting and Stay Safe

Lonny

Back