cooking on gas stove top

JeffreyL

Me and my wife recently took the plunge and switched to a gas stove. she grew up on gas, i grew up on electric coils. We are both loving it so far, even though baking in the oven is a little bit to get used to. But my question is i noticed the other day on the bottom of my flat griddle after making grilled cheese for lunch, and on my DO after making wings for the superbowl, that it looks like flame discoloration marks on the bottoms. doesnt look overheated or damaged, didnt hurt the seasoning, just appears a bit faded where the flames were. Is this normal or did I do something wrong? the flat griddle never goes above med heat, and the DO was warmed up slowly and then turned up to bring the oil to 375, then back down to med to maintain the heat while frying the wings

Totally normal in my experience. It seems to bother some people, but I just figure I'm not looking at the bottom of the pan I'm cooking in. If it's going to hang on the wall for display after/between uses, just wipe a little oil on it.

what is it actually doing? darkening and further hardening the spots the flame touches and so the lighter spots are not quite as hard as far as the seasoning goes? kinda like as the pans get darker the more we cook and season?

what is it actually doing? darkening and further hardening the spots the flame touches and so the lighter spots are not quite as hard as far as the seasoning goes? kinda like as the pans get darker the more we cook and season?

i think it might be carbon from the gas. its not anything to worry about.

Back