CI ID and time range? Lodge, Wagner, Griswold, unmarked

GarethBurghes

Hello!

I’m new to the details of vintage cast iron but love cooking on it. I found several pieces at an antique store and decided to take a plunge. Going to strip and re-season all of these.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to ID these pans? What era of these companies are these pans from? Where can I learn more about the history?

Thank you

You are on the right site. On the home page go to cast iron collecting drop down menu then go to unmarked cast iron. If you don't find an answer, browse some of the other drop down menus until you find the info you are looking for. Also, if you can post some pictures of the back of the pan including the handle, somebody will be able to ID it and give you a timeframe of when it was made. Good Luck!

The older bottom-gated pans with no names aren't usually identifiable as to maker. the 7 and I (letter) or 1 (number) are typically marks made by the foundryman for piece work pay.

The Wagner with the 1402 and patent numbers is part of a double skillet set, the lid/shallow skillet part is unmarked except for the patent numbers on the underside of the rim. Ca. 1940s.

The Lodge is probably somewhere around late 1950s to early 1960s.

The Griswold, with that style marking and depending on the handle style 1939-1957, but yours appears to be somewhere in the middle of that time frame.

The 14 caught my attention. After doing a little poking around here is what is seems like. Seems to be slightly before the “made in the United States” but after period where numbers were stamped at 6 o clock. So I am guessing this is early automation period?

Curious… I saw a restoration of this same pan on YouTube by cast_iron_chris. Title of video is claiming it is between 1955-1965. Haven’t found much else about it.

Now I just need to find the lid!

Back