Cast iron waffle iron and bell found in my family storage.

Coverage of non-cookware items here is infrequent, and then usually only if something made by one of the collectible cookware makers. The Griswold waffle iron is over 100 years old, so definitely worth considering restoring (by approved methods, of course).

Coverage of non-cookware items here is infrequent, and then usually only if something made by one of the collectible cookware makers. The Griswold waffle iron is over 100 years old, so definitely worth considering restoring (by approved methods, of course).
Thanks, my bad with not knowing about non-cookware items. What are the approved methods to restore the waffle iron?

Thanks for restoration information. Regarding the waffle iron, it appears to me that the handles are missing something...the handles seem very small in diameter at the outer 2-3 inches. Are there wood or spring handles missing at the end of the existing handle?

The handles appear original, or are facsimiles of the originals. Turned wood or coil handles would have come later.

After first 30 minute soaking of waffle iron in vinegar/water bath, I discovered the smaller diameter handles are actually wood. I removed the wood handles before soaking in bath for a second time. The wood was so dark, maybe 100 year old black paint that blended into the iron like one solid piece. Guessing that they may be original and I missed up by not noticing them to be wood and soaked them.

Vinegar/water soak is solely for rust. Your waffle iron doesn't appear to be primarily affected by rust enough to need submersion.

Back