Cast Iron Apple Pie -Oh my!

Okay, I finally made an apple pie--my first one, no less, and is it good!! Thanks to everybody who's shown off their yummy pies, etc. in this forum. The Special Thanks go to DougH, my original inspiration for this pie, and to Southern Living for the recipe I could print-out. Now we have one small problem: I forgot a prime rule of fruit pie baking, which is protect the floor of the oven! Hubby has been making noises about setting up an e-tank. I'm going to push that idea, as my poor Sidney skillet will probably need it to remove the pie remains. Well, it has been a fun experiment, and I'll continue to be inspired by you all here, several of whom I suspect are genuine, if amateur, chefs. Thanks, and happy cooking to all. S.

This strikes me as the beginning of a new forum: Cast Iron Confessional

I'll join in. Last Friday night's Gulf Red Snapper was a wonderful opportunity to have a fresh fish with clear eyes roasted over an open fire of apple and maple coals on the cast iron grate, head and all. It came out perfectly cooked. Moist, tender, flakey and juicy with mild flavor that said it was not chicken or tilapia which has no flavor but a real fresh fish. (I ate this one for you Rob.)

Page two: The skin was toasted a light tan and when I tried to turn it by the tail, the tail broke off. The head didn't feel much better so I loosened it with a spatula and got it turned. Not pretty. The second side welded itself to the grate also. I was able to get most of it off the grate in one piece as the meat fell off the bones. The skin was no help at all. Thanks to the head it resembled a fish on the serving platter. Rather than the first bite being with the eyes it appeared a bear got the first bite or two.

Hilditch

Cast Iron Confession-My first meal in my first skillet was a disaster. My first pan was a Griswold large block 8 that I hunted down. I fabricated a e tank to clean the pan. Once clean I seasoned the pan 3 times in the oven using the Crisco method from this site. The pan was a thing of beauty and I was a proud of it. While my wife was out I decided to cook dinner and surprise her. I bought a piece of beef for the occasion. I went to brown the beef, heated the skillet, added the oil and cut the cellophane on the beef, picked up the beef with tongs and placed it in the skillet. I took a photo of the beef cooking. Then I noticed a strange smell. When I flipped over the beef I realized the blood soaking piece of plastic on the bottom was still stuck to the meat. The plastic had melted to the meat and the Griswold. I threw out the meat, deleted the photo, and stuck the pan back in the e tank. My wife still doesn't know. You can bet that will never happen again.

Congradulations Mike W

You have the funniest post on this forum:)

Wish I could say I had never done such a thing but I'd be lying. Somebody said 'the road to hell is paved with good intensions'. I am living proof.

Jack

Back