Can we put a name with this eye candy

Unknown. The thinking is they were made by someone jumping on the hammered bandwagon back when it was popular, but not spending the money on detailed patterns.

That was not what I wanted to hear, but I knew most likely it was an Unknown.
Doug would you have a time frame that it was made. I will guess 1910 - 1920s

Thank you

With hammered ware being popular and being made by a number of makers in the later 1930s and into the 1940s I would say that's a good start. Or could that piece be an early attempt to hammer and might be from the 20s??

Or could that piece be an early attempt to hammer and might be from the 20s??
Perhaps, but then I look at the detail in the zig-zag rings on the underside of a Wagner DO cover, the patent for which was filed in 1918, and I think whoever made the lid pattern on this one wasn't trying very hard.

A fair number of these skillets, chicken fryers and dutch ovens seem to have been made. I don't think they were smuggled into this country under the darkness of night so who was it that made them? With Wagner and Griswold having patents for basting rings I don't know if this company would have come out with similar drip points until those patents ran out unless the patents did not cover this exact arrangement of drip things.

What I was trying to say was that lids with well-designed and executed basting features had been around for quite some time prior to the period of hammered ware popularity, and that the ones on these unknown hammereds are quite crude by comparison.

Back