Can my clean-easy DO lid be restored?

KSwanger

Hi, I purchased a DO at an estate auction. It was in really rough shape. I cleaned it using the Easy-off method for about a week. I tried using an sos pad to remove the unknown spattering of some sort, but it appears to be on the pan forever. The pan itself is still usable. My concern is the lid. It had the clean-easy enamel on it, but it is peeling off. My cleaning method failed to remove it. Can this enamel be removed another way? Is it worth saving, or should I buy another lid? The lid is totally unusable as is. I hope these pictures can be viewed. Thanks for any help.

The reddish patches in the photos suggest to me the pan has been previously put in a fire to clean. The overheating possible in such a scenario changes the molecular structure of the iron to where it won't hold seasoning. The condition of the lid is probably as a result of the same treatment. The unknown matter is probably a plastic or other inorganic material of some sort the lye would not react with. Electrolysis may take the unknown substance off, and might be able to remove the remaining porcelain from the lid.

I agree, it looks like your pot and cover were in a fire, maybe a self cleaning oven because the bail on the oven is all bent indicating that it got way too hot and the temper was taken out of the wire. Saving the oven may not be feasible.

Thank you for your input. I didn't realize the redish tint was a result of overheating, and is detrimental to staying seasoned. I thought it was surface rust. If it won't stay seasoned, I think it might be a total loss. :cry:

Back