Buttermilk pancakes

Steven C

This was a recipe from my grandma witch she received from a local cafe chef back in the day. Most of the ones I've looked at on line are very similar and at times some call for a tad of malted milk powder, this one does not.

I'll add the recipe here for those that would like to try them. I will use a small t and a big T for teaspoon and tablespoon. I'll add the full recipe and also it in half amount.
Half recipe
4 C flour------------ 2 C flour
3 t baking powder------------ 1 1/2 t baking power
2 t baking soda------------ 1 t baking soda
1 t salt------------ 1/2 t salt
3 T sugar--------- 1 1/2 T sugar
3 eggs------------ 2 eggs
1 qt. buttermilk------------ 2 C buttermilk
3 T oil------------ 1 1/2 T oil

These are a very full thick type pancake and need a temperature that will cook it threw and not burn the outside. I did these in a griddle pan

Steve,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Steve, about right on with Grandma’s Waffle recipe below in the recipe section. Main difference is separating the eggs and beating the whites to give a bit more lightness to the recipe, and no sugar, which is optional. For pancakes I cut a little water and 1 tbsp of butter from the waffle recipe. Both of these sure beat the mixes!

Hilditch

I made up some buttermilk pancakes the other day and cooked them up in my 12 in lodge skillet. I didn't have a recipe though, I added a little sugar, and baking powder to some self rising flower. Then a little margarine, an egg and the same amount of buttermilk as flour. I did add a little of water when the batter cam out too thick. I wish I could give you amounts but the best I can tell you is I used 1 1/2 cups of flour.

That's the same recipe my dad would make every Sunday for breakfast, minus the oil.

Don't forget to leave the batter a little lumpy to get the pancakes nice and thick. :glutton:

Thanks all, I'm glad you enjoyed the pancakes. It gave me a excuse to use my griddle I'm breaking in. And yes the recipe is close to some others I've read on line. The oil may of been added to aid in a more of a non stick release?

I wonder how well it would work in a waffle iron? The batter may need thinned, I'll just have to wait until I find a waffle iron.

Steve,

Back