Burner BTU capacity for kettle cooking?

LVaughn

I'm looking again at the old "butcher kettle" that I restored last year, if I recall correctly it held about 8 gallons of water when I filled it up. I'd like to take it to gatherings to cook jambalaya, popcorn, and other things in. What BTU range of burners should I be looking at to cook in this large kettle?
Here are a couple of photos from last year, not quite finished in the last pic, but you get the idea.

I recommend a BIG burner. I have a couple of Banjo Burners I use for homebrewing and my Jambalaya pot. My Jambalaya pot is only 3 gallons so the big burner can be turned down a bit. You will want every bit of it for an 8 gallon pot.

You can get the burner alone or with a stand. Most stands are for flat bottom pots. You can see in the first picture that my Jambalaya pot has its own stand.

Attachments

• Burner 1.jpg
    Burner 1.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Burner 2.jpg
    Burner 2.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 11
  • Burner 3.jpg
    Burner 3.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 11
That is a big burner putting out some serious BTU's! I had actually looked at this same burner but thought it might be overkill, maybe I'll reconsider that. With your 3 gallon pot do you use it on "high" very often? 3 gallons is still a lot of Jambalaya!

One of the things I like about the big burner is that it distributes the heat over a large area. My first big turkey fryer burner (see picture) I used for home brewing always seemed to leave scorched spots in the middle of my brew pot (stainless). I can turn the big burner down a bit and still get lots of BTUs but distributed and less likely to leave hot spots. It's probably better for heating cast iron for the same reason. The only time I really crank up the burner when making Jambalaya is when I add the chicken stock. The big burner gets the liquid boiling again fairly quickly. One of the things I learned from homebrewing is that a 1 hour boil can easily turn into significantly more time while waiting for the liquid to come up to temperature.

Burner 3 label on the picture is me being lazy. The Burner 3 in my previous post is the big Banjo Burner.

Attachments

• Burner 3.jpg
    Burner 3.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 2
Since this is generally in Cooking in Cast Iron......
I don't fill the kettle. The amount shown is with 1 Lb Andouille, 1 Lb chicken thighs, approx 12 to 16 oz of Tasso, the trinity, 5 cups of rice, 10 cups of homemade chicken stock, spices etc. I can get chicken bones for the stock at the Local Cajun Ed's Hebert's Specialty Meats, the same place I get the Andouille and Tasso.

The concrete blocks and plywood are a wind block.

Attachments

• Jambalaya Feb 2023.jpg
    Jambalaya Feb 2023.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 4
Back