BSR Red Mountain?

Jon F

Greetings!

Sorry that my first post is an ID thread. My cast iron is way more interesting than I am!

Am I correct that this is a BSR from the Red Mountain series? What’s giving me pause is the font size is so much smaller than other Red Mountain skillets I’m seeing and there’s a little “T” near 12 o’clock that seems unusual.

Thanks so much for any help!

Pics to follow: Need to sort out how to resize them.

pics!

Attachments

• IMG_4941.jpeg
    IMG_4941.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4943.jpeg
    IMG_4943.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4942.jpeg
    IMG_4942.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 35
The handle and pour lip size are certainly consistent with RM, although the markings are not. Two possibilities: 1) It is BSR and the markings are perhaps something tried on one or a few patterns as they switched to automated mold-making, or 2) someone used a BSR pan as a pattern, filled in the BSR markings and added their own. Some of the casting voids in the bottom and the heat ring, plus whatever's going on just inside the heat ring at 2 o'clock make me think the latter. Also, BSR was really never known for using a small, serif font.

Thank you Doug!

I was wondering if it was a BSR inspired copy.

Here are a couple more pics in better light.

Attachments

• IMG_4947.jpeg
    IMG_4947.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4946.jpeg
    IMG_4946.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 19
Found this pic of a 3S skillet. Small font and a mark at 12 o’clock (maybe also a copy?). IMG_4948.jpeg

Last edited:
BSR's S series skillets were slightly reduced in size in order to make them cheaper, much like other makers' economy brands. To copy a skillet with a designation considered exclusively BSR would seem awfully brazen.

The font is the same between that 3 and my 7 (based on my comparison and no proof whatsoever!) so I’m guessing mine is a BSR (or a copy) from the same era. Cheryl Watson has a chart with the measurements and mine is 9 11/16” wide and 2” deep which fits with the Red Mountain or early Century dimensions.

Maybe another will show up someday and this thread will be here waiting…

As an aside, it’s the first BSR I’ve had in hand. I really like the handle and weight of the skillet. I’m looking forward to finding a few more!

With a copy made from an actual pan as a pattern, shrinkage of 1/8" per foot on the copy compared to the genuine pan would be expected.

While searching through a cabinet, I found an old Red Mountain 3S, one with the earlier, crudely incised larger markings. I remembered it having an unusual + shaped marking at 12 o'clock, but just noticed an E in a serif font just below it.

Back